Placing or Adding Sitemap in footer is one of the best ways to increase the overall visibility of your site in the eye of search engine. Almost every website Owner use sitemap in footer, where they listed out all the important page of the site like blog, company detail etc.
The primary purpose of the Sitemap In Footer is to help visitors and search engine spiders to find the important content and information easily.
But now in modern days, company use footer space very cleverly to increase the usability of their site.
Look at Google developer website, how they cleverly use their Footer Space to guide his user to reach out all the page on the website.
Let me tell you, What happen when visitor come to your site.
A visitor visits a website…but he/she doesn’t see what she’s looking for,,, He/she scrolls down a bit… but he/she still doesn’t find,,,,,, scrolls a bit more,,,,,,still not the,,,,, then he/she goes all the way down to the bottom of the page,,,,,, and there it is, in the website footer. The link she was looking for!
On the world of internet, 65% visitor find, what they are finding with the help of footer. So ignoring the importance of footer means you are actually ignoring your audience attention.
In this article, I will help you to learn, How you can add sitemap in footer and things that you can do in the footer section.
Introduction To Footer
A Sitemap in footer help crawler to crawl or access the every part of the website more efficiently.
A WordPress theme consists of a lot of template file, each file has its own function and code. Most themes have a template file called footer.php, which defines how the footer is created and stored all the information in the footer.
Traditional Vs Mini Sitemap Footer
Now with time, Traditional Footer convert into Mini sitemap Footer. Mini sitemap footers are not only gaining the more click, use attraction but also more effective than traditional footers.
Whenever user not able to find the information on the header. They try it to find on the footer, so footer is your last option, to grab the attention of the user.
It also saves the time of the user, to find the content by type the keyword in the website search box.
How To Use Menus In WordPress
Before adding a Sitemap in footer you should have the concept of the Menu In WordPress. How you can edit and use it to place any type of link in the footer.
- Login Your website as an Admin and Open your Dashboard.
- Click on Menus Under Appearance Section. You will see a window like below.
Note: – Don’t worry if you see a different window. This Actually depends upon the theme you are using but the procedure remains same in all the theme.
- In Menu, you can Create a New Menu (a group to add different-different page) to add in the sitemap.
- Now you have a Menu, Add what every you want to add in it. For example, here I’m adding “About and my Sitemap Page ” in the Menu.
- At the end of the article, I will explain how you can Create Sitemap Page for Footer.
- Click on the page (I already created a page like an author, contact, about) that you want to add in the Menu and Hit Add to Menu Button.
- Now your selected page are a shift into the Menu that you are created.
Note: – In Menu Setting, you can add New or Top level page (When every you publish a new post) Automatically in it and Also set the location of the Menu. When you check it, you will understand what I’m saying.
Now you have the concept of Menu, how to create it. Now lets we learn how we can place it in a footer.
- Click on Widgets Under Appearance, If your site has a footer function you will see it here. For example, my theme has a 3 footer.
Note: – If your theme has a footer but not showing then check it under custom Menu.
- Click on Any footer (where you want to place a link, sitemap in footer).
- Select the Menu you create or want to add in the footer.
- Give the Tittle which you want to show on your site and hit the save button.
- Now check your website footer, You will see your Created Menu added in Footer with the Tittle You select.
We add One link ( about page) in footer and Sitemap in footer. In this way, you can add what every you want to add in the footer.
How To Place HyperLink Or Text In Footer
You can do this with the help Custom link. But the question is, How we can add custom link in the footer? For example, if I want to add the link to my facebook account in the footer, Then how can I Add this?
- Click on Menu and Appearance and then click on Custom link.
- Here you can add URL (where you want to link) and Text name.
- After adding name and URL link Click on add to Menu.
Note: – Make sure you create a new menu or add it to the old menu by selecting it in the Menu name.
If you add it in the existing Menu then it already shows on your website. But if you create a new Menu or add it to that menu you not added into the Footer then you have to add this menu to the footer.
How To Make Sitemap For Footer
The Sitemap file you place in the Footer is different from XML sitemap file. We already discuss XML sitemap in detail. But for the new user, here is a little view to XML Sitemap.
The XML sitemap is a file that contains your article detail for Search engine Bot so that bot can easily index your website. But the Sitemap that we place in a Footer is consist of all the link of your article and important page on your site.
- Log in your WordPress as admin and Go to Add Page.
- Make a list of your all article and wrap then into a link so that visitor can easily go to theirs. Look at my footer sitemap for more understanding.
- Now You very well know, how to create Menu and Add it into the footer.
Note: – Update your footer sitemap time to time (When you update a new post by placing the link in the sitemap)
Benefits Of Sitemap in Footer
Placing a sitemap in your footer gives you the opportunity to present every part of your website in front of the visitor. This could have some key advantages:
- New visitors, visiting the site for the first time will be able to find what they want much faster, without having to use navigation menus.
- As we know, online readers don’t read everything on the website page, they scroll and scan. Footer is probably the last place they look at before exiting. So well optimize sitemap in the footer may attract readers’ attention and increase page Click Through Ratio (CTR).
- It helps to reduce the bounce rate of your site and increase the average time (dwell time) of your site.
- When Search engine Bot comes to your site, It first checks the Header and footer section of your site. So it is a better way to help search engine for indexing your site faster and easily.
- You don’t really have to use the footer to list out everything, you can use it as an alternative location to promote important pages.
Things That Can Do In Footers
How should you design your website footer? Here are ideas and examples, starting with the most common content and features and best practices for what to include in a footer design.
- Major content categories
- Sitemap, Navigation, Testimonials.
- Phone and Fax numbers.
- Site Search Tool, Your Mission, Branding.
- Social Icons, Social Media Widgets.
- Help and support
- Contact information
- Current promotions
- Donation or volunteer information, for nonprofits
- Information about the site or organization
- Awards and Certifications, Association Memberships.
Remember to share this post with anyone who might benefit from this information, including your Facebook friends, Twitter followers and members of your Google+ group! And also Support Us By Liking Our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ Page.
If you have any suggestion or problem about Sitemap In Footer please feel free to comment below.
Latest posts by Harvinder Singh Sharry (see all)
- What To Do After Installing WordPress? First Important Things To Do - March 21, 2017
- What’s Google Structured Data Markup And Its Report! How To Fix It? - March 2, 2017
- How To Create, Setup And Add Google Analytics To WordPress - February 26, 2017