A dedicated server is a remote physical server located in a data center. It belongs to a service provider and is leased to a single client company.
Table of Contents
Why Choose a Dedicated Server?
Thanks to numerous advantages, dedicated servers are quite popular among companies. They are high-performance, reliable, and can be configured to meet specific tasks and requirements. Organizations with strict security requirements, such as financial institutions and government agencies, often opt for this type of server to host their applications, databases, and backups.
Making the Choice: Managed or Unmanaged
Once you’ve decided to rent a dedicated server and have chosen a configuration that suits your needs, the next step is to decide on its administration. Providers usually offer two options – managed and unmanaged servers. What do these terms mean, and what are the key differences between them?
Managed vs Unmanaged Servers: An Analogy
Think of it like owning a car. If you are an experienced driver, you drive the car yourself, knowing what’s under the hood and how to keep it running smoothly. If you don’t drive or lack the necessary knowledge and skills, you hire someone to drive and maintain the car for you. The same applies to servers.
If you know how to administer a server, you rent a dedicated server, get root access, and configure it according to your IT infrastructure requirements. If you lack this knowledge, the IT staff of the provider takes care of it.
Unmanaged Server: Pros and Cons
- Cost savings compared to managed servers, as your in-house specialist handles the server maintenance.
- Freedom of action: you use the server and install applications at your discretion.
- Greater control over security, limiting third-party access to critical information.
- Diverts time from core business tasks.
- Requires round-the-clock IT support.
- Challenging to keep up with OS updates and patches.
- Potentially reduces security and reliability if updates are not performed regularly.
Managed Server: Pros and Cons
- Saves your time and your IT team’s time.
- No IT knowledge is required on your part.
- Regular OS updates ensure security and up-to-dateness.
- More expensive than renting an unmanaged server.
- Grants more control over an external party.
Expert Services for Your Business
BlueServers offers dedicated server rental in one of our data centers in Estonia, Cyprus, Poland, Sweden, Canada, Hong Kong, Netherlands, and Dubai.
With a fully managed server rental, their technical support specialists can provide the following remote administration, support, and server operation services:
- Server setup and configuration.
- Software installation and updates.
- Server load and availability monitoring.
Why Opt for Administered Servers?
Renting one of our managed dedicated servers allows you to:
- Reduce risks.
- Save time.
- Save space.
- Keep pace with your growing business.
If you are unsure whether you need a dedicated server and assistance with its administration, contact the support of the dedicated server provider of your choice and they will help you choose the right server for you.