The Amazon Fire TV stick, popularly called the Firestick, is a streaming device bought into the market by Amazon. It’s ideal for watching movies and television shows, playing video games, or simply listening to music.
There’s a built-in app store that offers various streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and YouTube. You can even connect devices like Amazon Echo.
Now, if you want an app, not in the Firestick libraries, there are ways to obtain them. In this article, we will show you how to install apps on your Amazon Fire TV Stick using either the Amazon website or through a process called sideloading.
Table of Contents
How To Browse And Download Apps On Firestick?
There are four different ways in which you can download new apps on your Firestick. Three of these methods are simple. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to follow each method, and install some of the best apps for Firestick.
Method 1: Amazon App Store
By going to your Amazon app store, you can see what apps are available for download. Since there’s an innumerable number of apps, scrolling through the library will be fun, and maybe you can even find an app that you never knew you needed.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to browse and download apps on your Firestick with your remote from the app store:
- Before starting, make sure that your device is connected to your internet.
- Go to the home screen.
- To reach the top menu, use the up button on the directional pad.
- Then, click the right button until you reach the “Apps” option.
- After reaching the app option, press down on your directional pad to open the apps tab.
- There will be a list of featured applications and games. By touching the directional pad’s central button, you can access the app.
- Select the option “Get” to install the app you chose.
- If the app you want is not free, purchase it after clicking the small shopping cart icon.
Once the installation is done, the app will be available on your home page. Just go to your home page and click on the newly installed app to launch it.
Method 2: Search It Up Or Use Your Voice
Sometimes you know what it is that you exactly want. In that case, you don’t have to browse through the countless apps available in the app store. You can use the built-in search feature. Using this function, you can get any app available on your device or in the app store.
Here’s how you can use the search function to locate and download apps on your Firestick:
- In the top-left corner of your home screen, there’s a small magnifying glass that indicates the search function. Click on this icon to open the search function.
- Use your remote to type in the name of the app you need after the keyboard appears.
- Select the app you want in the drop-down list when you see it by pressing the central button on your remote.
- Click the option “Get” to install the app. If this app was a previously downloaded one, the option is “Download.’”
- To launch the app, click open.
Alternatively, you can also use the new voice control function amazon added on its streaming devices. Now you can operate your Fire TV Stick with your Alexa Voice Remote. Here’s how you do it:
- Using your Alexa Voice Remote, press the voice button.
- Say the name of the app you want.
- Use the voice command “Get” when you see the app you want on the screen.
Method 3: Through Amazon Website
If you think the Firestick keyboard is time-consuming, you can use your computer or laptop to download your apps. Amazon’s official website allows you to download and install any software from the store.
It’s a straightforward procedure with only a few stages. You can either look for the app on the main website or go straight to the store. The last one is possibly more effective. Here’s how you do it;
- Go to the official Amazon website and choose the “AppStore for Android” option on your browser.
- Then, choose the “All Apps and Games” option.
- There’s a sidebar on the left of your screen with a list of device types and models. Find the model of your Firestick and put a checkmark against it to select.
- On the left sidebar, the apps are organized into categories. Scroll until you locate what you’re looking for, then click on it.
- A drop-down menu will appear when you click on the box under “Deliver to.”
- Find your device on the drop-down menu and select the “Get App” option to install it.
If the download is successful, you will find the app on your home screen.
Method 4: Sideloading
Sideloading is the process of downloading apps from a third-party app store instead of installing it from the official app store of whatever device you use. This term is mainly thrown around when it comes to android devices.
So, if the app you wanted is not on the Amazon app store, you can do it by installing third-party apps on your Firestick. This step requires you to make a few
adjustments on your device, so this is how you do it:
- Open the home screen of your TV.
- Click to open the settings option seen on the right-hand corner.
- Go to your device and then select the developer option from the list of other settings.
- When the small window appears, select the option “Apps from Unknown Sources” with your remote. Then turn it on.
You’ve enabled permission for sideloading. But for the time being, Amazon devices can only run Android apps. The good news is that you can move them to your Fire TV device if you already have them on your phone. Here’s how:
- Check if both the phone and your Firestick are connected to the same network.
- Open the app on your Android device. In the upper-right corner of the screen, tap the three dots.
- Click “Select” and then “Network” to scan all devices on your network.
- To locate your Firestick, look at the device name and IP address. Click on it.
- The top bar contains a section labeled “Local Apps.” Open it and look for the program you want to install.
- Click the app and select “Install.”
The app will appear on your home screen once you’re done with the above steps.
Downloading apps on your Firestick is easy as you just have to follow some simple steps. Hopefully, this guide helps you navigate through the various ways to get new apps on your Firestick.