Do you feel doubt that you can play PS3 games on the PS4? You may be disappointed to learn that the PS4 is not backward compatible with the PS3. But no worries, there is another alternative as well, which is described in the following section for your convenience so that you don’t feel bad for not playing your PS3 favorite games on the latest console.
Suggested: Also read the article to see the backward compatibility of PS3 and PS5.
However, backward compatibility is the main selling point for any video game console. So then you will be able to play old games on a new system, which increases their value. But it is better to know first whether a new system has the function of compatibility or not.
If not, then you can also apply other techniques so that your enjoyment will not stop. So, before going into a lengthy discussion here, move to the next section to see the compatibility and different methods of accessing PS3 on PS4.
Can You Play PS3 Games on a PS4?
The answer is no because the PlayStation 4 is not backward compatible with PS3 games. So, the technique of placing a PS3 disc into a PS4 will not work. Moreover, you cannot install the PS3 game’s digital versions from the PS Store onto your PS4. This feature is available in all editions of the PS4 as well as the slim PS4 and PS4 Pro.
The reason behind this feature is that most compatible situations, like PS3 and PS4, have different system architectures. So, you cannot access PS3 native games on PS4 consoles as they don’t have the PS3 hardware. Furthermore, you cannot play PS2 or original PS discs either on the PS4.
Therefore, Sony came to the decision that it was not worthy of creating a software emulator for older titles. So, leave the PS4 console to play PS4 games only. But fortunately, there are additional ways to access PS3 titles on PS4 even without native backward compatibility.
Use the PlayStation Now Service to Stream PS3 Titles on PS4
Another invention by Sony is the PlayStation Now service, which is basically a cloud gaming service that is easily accessible on the PS4, PS5, and Windows. Well, this service permits you to stream PS2, PS3, and PS4 games, so you can simply get pleasure from a few of the best titles in the console family over the years.
Hence, if you subscribe to PlayStation Now, then through streaming, you can definitely play PS3 titles on your PS4. Nevertheless, there were approximately 400+ PS3 games available on the service. However, the exact number varies as the titles are added or removed.
Thus, if you have a steady network connection and don’t have the cost issue, then PlayStation Now is a great way to access various PS3 games on your PS4. So, in the following section, let’s see the steps to subscribe to PS Now.
First! Get PlayStation Now Subscription
To play and access the service of PS Now on the PS4 console, follow the described instructions carefully:
- Initially, connect your PS4 to the broadband internet to use PS4.
- Then log in to your PlayStation Now Network account. You can access it on your PS4 or through the PlayStation Store website.
- On the dynamic menu of PS4, choose the PlayStation Stores icon, which resembles the shopping bag, by pressing X on the controller. In this way, you can buy or sign in to your PlayStation Now.
- After that, on the left side, near the bottom of the sidebar menu, select PS Now.
- Pick Start 7-day free trial option; you can see it as an orange button in the middle of the screen. Then, you get a free trial; after that, it charges $19.99, including monthly tax.
- Now, you can also look at the game library online at the PS Now website. If you want to explore all the games, then click on the blue button that says See All Games.
- On the left side, click on the Subscribe tab by pressing X on the controller.
- On the right side, click on the third button of Confirm Purchase. You can use the directional buttons or left stick to move to the button and tap X to select it.
- To confirm your purchase enter the PlayStation Network password and tap on X; it will start your free PS Now trial.
Let’s Take a Review: To Play PS3 Games on PlayStation4 via PS Now
As described in the above section, you can play PS3 games on PS Now, but with a different process. That means first, you have to enable the service of PS Now on PS4. Then, you can access PlayStaion3 titles on PS4. For now, see the below steps to access PS3 games on PS Now:
- On your DualShock controller, press the PlayStation logo (PS button), which opens the dynamic menu on the PS4.
- You may notice an icon that resembles the PS logo in a curvy triangle. That icon is the PS Now app; through the controller, move to the PS now app and hit the X button to open the app.
- Now, choose the Start tab; it is available on the right side of the PS Now.
4. Pick the Browse tab at the top of the screen by pressing X on the controller.
5. From the browser menu, select the fourth box naming PS3 games. It will display all the available lists of PS3 games.
6. Using the left stick or directional keys on the controller, opt for the game by hitting the X button which you want to play.
7. Finally, click the blue button naming Stream Now below the game title. After finishing the loading of the game, your game will start.
Play Remakes of PS3 Games as a PS4 User -Alternatively
Luckily, due to a large number of remasters and remakes of game videos that are released nowadays. Where you can get the pleasure of older systems with a fresh coat of paint on the current console- often, you can get multiple games in one package as it appears in the compilation. There are a few examples of remade PS3 games that you can play on PS4:
- Borderlands –> The Handsome collection is a remake of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands; the Pre-Sequel and loads of DLC.
- The Last of US Remastered–>Enhanced version of the monumental PS3 title.
- BioShock–> The Collection bundles are remastered of BioShock, BioShock2, and BioShock Infinite.
As it is clear from the above knowledge that you cannot access PS3 games on PS4 directly due to the different system architectures. Furthermore, Sony Company denies releasing any more PS3 updates. Instead, it introduces PS Now, a game streaming service that allows users to access all PS3 game titles on the PS4 console.
So, you can use that service or other method as an alternative for entertainment, where you can also play older PS3 games. I hope so; the methods described above are worthwhile for you, and please share your thoughts on which method you have used to play your favorite games by commenting.