How to turn on dark mode on snapchat? Snapchat is the latest app to introduce a Dark Mode option for its iPhone and Android app. The new all-black look makes it easier to use the app in the dark and, as a bonus, can help save on battery life.
We reckon it’s easier on the eyes too. Switching to a Dark Mode (sometimes called Night Mode) has become a popular trend among apps. We’ve seen it adopted by the likes of Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp and browsers like Google Chrome.
If you want to do it on Snapchat, it’s effortless if you’re using an iPhone and a little trickier if you’ve opted for an Android device.
What is the Dark Mode feature?
The dark mode feature in the software is an option to darken the user interface, with high saturation and low contrast. The most popular colors are black and navy blue.
Dark mode prevents eye strain when looking at the screen in low-light conditions. Most popular websites and social media apps include dark mode and often apply it automatically to match system user settings.
How to turn on Dark Mode on Snapchat on an iPhone
If you’re using Snapchat on an iPhone, the first thing you need to do is open up the app and go into your profile.
Then, follow these steps:
Click the icon in the top-left of the screen. Tap on the Settings menu, shown as a small cogwheel. From there, scroll right down to the My Account section. You’ll be presented with an option that says App Appearance. Tap that, and you’ll be given three options: Always Light, Always Dark, and Match System.
This should be pretty self-explanatory. The second option will switch you permanently over to Dark Mode, while the first will keep things as they are. Match System will put the app in tune with your iPhone’s system settings. So if you’re using a scheduled Dark Mode on iOS, then Snapchat will follow suit.
How to turn on Dark Mode on Snapchat on an Android phone
If you’re on an Android phone, it can be a bit more challenging to get Dark Mode enabled because Snapchat hasn’t released it to the public yet. Instead, you’ll need to activate Developer Mode, which gives you insider access to how your phone works.
Before that, though, follow these steps:
- Activate Dark Mode across your entire device by tapping on Settings and then going to the Display menu.
- However, if you’ve got a different type of Android phone – such as a Samsung or OnePlus, you may need to follow these additional steps.
- Once you’ve toggled Dark Mode, return to the Settings menu and scroll down to the About Phone section.
- You’re looking for the Build Information section – which may be under a submenu called Software Information.
- Once you’ve found it, tap on Build Information 6 times to activate Developer Mode.
- After that, go back to the Settings and choose the new Developer Options, which will have appeared in your menu. Then, toggle the Force Dark Mode panel to ‘on,’ and you’ll find that Snapchat now runs in Dark Mode.
Naturally, the phone we were using didn’t have this
While Snapchat hasn’t yet put out an official Dark Mode, it hasn’t been sitting around idly. The app has teamed up with TikTok to start convincing younger people to get vaccinated against Covid-19.
How to delete Snapchat permanently
Sometimes, no amount of new modes or fun features can get you to stick with an app.
You may have decided the time has come to ditch Snapchat altogether.
In that case, here’s how you can delete your account:
- You need to go back into the Settings menu (remember, the cogwheel) and then find ‘Support.’
- This will take you to a webpage, but you can cut out the middleman.
- From there, you will be asked to click a link where you will log in by entering your username and password, then just clicking ‘continue.’
- The account will be deactivated for 30 days, during which friends will not be able to contact or interact with you.
After 30 days, the account will be deleted permanently, and you don’t have to do anything else at this time.
However, if you have changed your mind, all you need to do is log back into Snapchat with your username and password during the 30 days, and you are good to go again.
How to Enable dark mode feature in Android’s Developer mode
- Go back to the phone’s settings menu and tap “About Phone” – it should be located somewhere at the bottom.
- Locate the “Build number” section. It might be in the “About phone” settings. On some phones, you might need to first go to “Software information.”
- Tap the “Build number” 6 times to enable developer mode.
- By now, you should have “Developer Options” enabled. Go back to the main “Settings” list and click “System,” and then tap newly uncovered “Developer options.”
- Locate and turn on the “Force dark mode” panel.
Pro tip: Different Android devices will have different menu layouts or might lack “Force dark mode” in the developer’s mode settings.
Why should I use Dark Theme on Snapchat? It’s healthier for your eyes
If you often open your Snapchat in low-light conditions, your eyes will thank you for it. Starting at a bright screen for an extended period will likely cause an eye strain and make it harder to fall asleep. It is also advised for people with sight disorders and eyes diseases to have a dark background on any device.
It saves your battery
Night mode drains the battery slower than a light mode, as a darker theme requires less light to display.
It’s less disturbing for others
The dark mode is helpful if you use the Snapchat application where your surroundings require you to keep the light to a minimum – be it a cinema or your bed with your loved ones falling asleep next to you.