Did you just get an edu email address, but you don’t know how to set up an edu email in Gmail? Doing so helps keep you informed of the new schedule and important announcements about your institute. In this article, we have shared the complete steps to add your educational email address on Gmail.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Linking edu email on Gmail
Google features Gmail, which is a free service that integrates Google’s search technology with traditional email. By signing up for a Gmail account, your email address will have a Gmail domain, for instance, email@example.com. However, with Gmail, you can set your external email address, like edu email, to your Gmail account.
You will get many benefits from edu email once you link it to your Gmail account, including using it as a POP client to import your institution emails and combine your email accounts in one place. Also, you can get unlimited benefits from Google Drive for student email. Therefore, you can send emails within Gmail with your educational email address as a sender.
How do I Set up an Edu email in the Gmail Application?
- Open the Gmail application and click on three lines to navigate the menu.
- Scroll down, find settings, and click on it then tap on Add account.
- On the setup email page, select Google.
- Then, type your full edu email address in the email box and click the Next button.
- You will be redirected to your college or university website. Log in here with your username and password. On this page, type your username instead of your full email address.
- Click on Next and then tap on Take Me to Gmail.
- Tap on Change Sync Settings to set up this account to sync mail automatically.
How do I Set up an Edu Email in Gmail via Web Browser
You can add your edu email address to your Gmail account and send and receive emails just like with your Gmail address.
For Receiving Emails from Edu Email Address
- Go to Gmail through your preferred browser and log in to your account.
- At the upper right corner, click on the gear icon and tap on see all settings.
- Click on the Accounts and Import tab, and then find the Check mail from the Other Accounts section.
- Click on Add a mail account.
- Enter your edu email address and select next.
- On the next page, select Import emails from my other account (POP3) and click on the Next button.
- Enter your full edu email address again and your edu email password. In the POP server box, add outlook.office365.com and change the Port to 995.
- Tick the box to leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server if you prefer your institution emails to remain available when you log in with the institution’s website. Otherwise, the emails are only available in Gmail.
- Tick the box, always use a secure connection SSL when retrieving mail, and also check the box to label incoming messages. Then, hit the Add Account button.
For Sending Emails with Edu Email Address
- Go to your Gmail account and tap on settings.
- Click on the Imports and Account tab and find the Send Mail section.
- Tap and click on Add another email address.
- Enter your edu email address again and untick Treat as an alias. Now click on the Next Step.
- On the next page, change the SMTP server to smtp.office365.com and port 465. Type your edu email address as the username, along with the password. Then click on Add account.
- Gmail will send a verification email to your edu address; go to your edu account on another tab to verify it.
- After the verification is completed, your educational account is set up in Gmail.
So, whether you get a free edu email from a university or just buy the student email, in the end, you have to merge it with your Gmail account. In this article, we have shared the complete procedure to set up an edu email in Gmail. With these easy steps, you can manage all your emails in one place and don’t miss any updates and important announcements from your college and university.