If you are looking for a way to change your name on PayPal? Well, you can do this in a few steps. Either change your username on PayPal or the display name associated with your business account.
To modify your name on PayPal is to make a new account. Besides, PayPal does offer ways to alter your account name. However, most of them require you to prove legally that you want to change your name on your PayPal account.
Like PayPal, Venmo is an all-around app that store, send, and receive money from other users. Recently, PayPal purchased Venmo, and these 2 services have very similar capabilities and security practices.
In this article, we will touch on the top alternative of PayPal, including Stripe, Square, TransferWise, etc.
However, what do you do when your PayPal is not working & How to Use PayPal Securely? Follow the answer to your queries below,
What Is PayPal?
PayPal is an American multinational financial technology company and electronic commerce company that facilitates payments between parties through online transfers. It makes paying for things online and sending and receiving money safe and secure way.
Read More: How to Transfer Money from PayPal to Bank Account
How Does PayPal Work?
First, you need to link your bank account, credit card, and debit card to your PayPal account; whenever you are making an online payment, you can choose which account to debit. All transactions will proceed through PayPal instead of your bank. PayPal serves as a middleman between your bank and online dealer, making your payment information secure.
Additionally, if your name is incorrect, the person who wants to transact with you ends up sending payment to the wrong person. However, keep this in mind, you need to make sure that your account name accurately reflects your real name or business name.
Why Use PayPal Account?
PayPal is one of the most established, well-accepted, and popular digital payment method systems which is available at every corner of online websites playsafecanada.org
– Reliable Transaction
PayPal is widely accepted and well established, among others including Apple Pay and Google Pay. You will find out PayPal option on every digital financial service. Its buyer protection safeguard ensures that dealers never see your payment data. PayPal provides a lot of benefits for your account security including end-to-end data encryption, optional two-factor account logins, and e-mail confirmations for transactions.
– Easy & Convenient
PayPal is the most accepted payment option after Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover, which is available on every online store. Have you ever wanted to make an online purchase but messed up with all the options and failed to shop online? PayPal is the easiest way; all you need to memorize is your PayPal login and password or mobile number and PIN. The online store couldn’t have your details in its database.
How Do I Change My PayPal Name?
PayPal is an online financial service that allows you to pay for online purchasing while using a very Secure Internet account. It permits users to change their username on the application.
However, only very specific instances are required while changing your username is justified or allowed by PayPal which includes; if your name was misspelled or if you have changed your legal name updating (marriage certificate). If you have recently changed your business name, you can also change your username to reflect that.
Note: You can only change your username through a web browser on the official PayPal website, not from your phone and tablet on the PayPal mobile application.
- Log in to PayPal website on a web browser and click the settings button.
2. Click Change Name beside your name.
3.Select the appropriate option.
For legal name updating in your PayPal account, you may be asked to upload an official document stating the new name. This document requires a photo ID, a marriage certificate, or similar.
This official document must contain one or more of the below details where necessary:
- Your photo,
- Your legal name (first and last name),
- Date of birth,
- Date of issue or expiry,
- Your signature, and
- Government issued photo ID number.
Moreover, these documents should not be expired when you submit them to PayPal.
Read More: How to Transfer Money from PayPal to Bank Account
What Documents are Required to Update Your Nicknames On PayPal
The next option allows you to update your name, which requires the following simple steps below:
- A copy of a government issued photo ID that shows your entire face as well as you’re ID number.
- A copy of one of these below documents:
- Current utility bills which show your correct name and your accurate address
- Recent bank statement for the bank account linked to your PayPal Acc that shows your correct name and current address
- Recent credit card statements for the card that is linked to your PayPal account.
However, it will take time to proceed and be approved sometime in PayPal.
2 Ways To Change PayPal Name For Business Account
The first way is for you to sign up for a business account while using your Business E-mail Address and bank account. The second way is to upgrade a personal account by visiting the official PayPal website and signing in to your PayPal account on your web browser. This is useful and common for freelancers and DBAs (a Doing Business As lets the public know who the real owner of a business is in the U.S).
- Tap on Settings button and click “Upgrade to a Business Account.”
- The system will prompt you to enter crucial information about your business.
- Then, present a user agreement, which you should read and approve.
- After you have done it, tap on the “Upgrade Account” option.
Note: Your business name will be disclosed on your account if you use one. Thus, the client side will be able only to see the name you used to create the account.
How Can I Open PayPal App on My iPhone?
To get the PayPal App on your iPhone:
- First open the App Store and search for ‘PayPal.’
2. Once you have found it, click the ‘Get’ button to download and install it.
3. After installing, open the PayPal App and sign in with your PayPal username and password.
How To Change Your Name On PayPal On iPhone?
To change your name on PayPal on iPhone, open the app and tap the three lines in the top left corner of the main screen.
- Click “Settings button” and then “Profile.”
- Tap “Name” and enter your new name.
- Select “Done” and then confirm your changes.
– Benefits Of Changing Your Name On PayPal On iPhone
Here are a few benefits:
- Help you keep track of your finances more easily.
- Easier to receive payments from others.
- Help to protect your financial information.
How To Change A Typographical Error
To change a minor correction to your existing name, you won’t get worried as well as you don’t need any paperwork. Nevertheless, you can change a few letters only, and you can make this change at once. Follow the given steps below;
- Log into your PayPal account and hangover “Profile.” Now click on “My Info.”
- Click “Change” next to your name in the name category.
- Click the “Personal Name Change (incorrect at signup or minor name change)” bubble and click “Continue.”
- Click “Yes” if it’s a minor correction of typographical change of up to two letters, and click “Continue.” You’ll be allowed to change it on the next page. If it’s a more vital change, click “No” and then tap “Continue.”
- Make a scan of your current photo ID, which can be your driving license, passport, or government-issued state ID, and an official document that supports your identity, including a utility statement, bank statement, or credit card statement, along with your new name and address. You must upload the scans to your computer.
- Click “Upload Files” and then “Choose File.” Locate the scan on your computer and click “Open.
- Select the type of scan from the drop-down menu and type a description of it.
- Click “Upload Files.” Repeat this process for the second document.
- Click “Send Files.”
Moreover, PayPal will review your documents and change your name when it has been verified.
Read More: How to Add Money to PayPal
PayPal Pros & Cons
Everything is having advantages and disadvantages so as PayPal has. Here are some of PayPal’s pros and cons that need to keep in mind:
- PayPal is easy to use and delivers money to your loved ones, including friends and family.
- PayPal gives you an extra layer of protection and fraud prevention. If you purchase anything online while using PayPal, that ends up being fraudulent. So, PayPal will help you and get your money back
- No fees are required in PayPal for sending money to friends and family.
- PayPal encodes your bank or credit card information while keeping it safe.
- You will be charged only if you are sending money via PayPal as part of a business transaction.
- If you want instant access to your money, PayPal also charges a 1% fee. Otherwise, a free bank transfer takes several days.
- PayPal has a reputation for being very aggressive with account freezes. And if they decide to freeze your account, they hold your money unless you prove that you have done nothing wrong.
Top 7 PayPal Alternatives
We might suggest a few alternatives if you find PayPal too complicated or crowded according to your taste. We have selected these payment processing solutions based on pricing, security, reputation, etc.
- An all-rounder toolkit for online and offline payment processing.
- Transaction fees start at 2.65%, plus 10 cents for card payments with no hidden fees or required contracts.
- The hardware offered includes magstripe Square readers for $10, readers for contactless and chip card processing at $49, and POS systems for $799.
- Virtual terminals authorize order processing or appointment booking via phone.
- Support website and social media transactions.
- Unlike PayPal, Square provides free customer relationship (CRM) software and marketing automation tools.
- Gathers customers’ data that including their purchase interests, history, and feedback, and composes it into customer profiles.
- Through these profiles, companies can tap into Square’s marketing automation capabilities in order to create and send personalized e-mail and text marketing campaigns that promote loyalty and repeat sales.
2. Payment Depot
- Unlike PayPal, Payment Depot offers a no-frill payment processing option for businesses looking to process large volumes of sales starting.
- plans start at $59 per month.
- provides a variety of payment processing hardware, such as POS systems, mobile readers, smart readers―with inventory management, loyalty program, and reporting capabilities―and standard terminals.
- virtual terminals permit you to process online credit or debit card payments.
- Payment Depot simply charges a monthly fee, then allows you only to pay wholesale interchange rates.
- Grants businesses to process online and offline payments.
- With an average in-person processing fee of 1.90% plus 8 cents and an average online or over-the-phone processing fee of 2.38% plus 25 cents, businesses can save up money compared to higher PayPal fees.
- Reader costs $109 and offers amazing features, such as inventory management, invoicing, and e-mail receipts.
- Unlike PayPal’s flat transaction fee, Helcim uses only an interchange-plus rate, which means Helcim bases transaction fees on customers’ card networks, plus a markup fee.
- With more transactions, this fee drops.
4. Merchant One
- Merchant One provides POS systems, mobile processing, virtual terminals, and free online shopping carts.
- More services include cash advances, invoicing, gift and loyalty programs, and recurring payment processing.
- Claims advanced fraud tools and no fees for PCI compliance.
- These features cost $6.95 per month. Additionally, Qualified swipe and key-in rates start at 0.29%. Nonstandard card processing rates are higher.
- Businesses must commit to a three-year contract in exchange for such approval.
- As a result of breaking a contract, it can lead to hefty termination fees, with some prior customers reporting $725 in early termination fees.
- Unlike PayPal, TransferWise makes international payments very cheap and painless.
- Freelancers, entrepreneurs, or sole traders, all are welcome.
- Charges include fixed and viable fees.
- Fixed fees are just a few dollars, while variable fees hover at roughly 0.5%.
- This service is only available to U.S. and Canada-based businesses, but payments will come in from any resource.
- Charges 2.9% plus 30 cents on every transaction.
- A self-hosted checkout process on the business owner’s site compared to sharing customers to an external site such as PayPal.
- The Stripe network automatically deposits the funds into an outside bank account.
- Payment features include address auto-complete, one-click payments, reusable payment methods, subscription payments, and clear error messages.
- Venmo is only operational within the US, which means you can only transact with users from within the US.
- An all-around app and checkout option with websites, including Uber and Grub Hub.
- Transferring money to your bank account can take a few business days.
- Doesn’t have monthly or annual fees, but for instant transfers, it offers a 1% fee with a minimum of $0.25 and a maximum of $10.
Read More: How to Cancel Venmo Payment
Q1: Do I have to use my real name on PayPal?
Ans: PayPal claimed that users should use their real names on personal accounts. If you don’t want to reveal your name to whom you exchange money on PayPal, you’ll need to set up a business account.
Q2: How long does it take for PayPal to change your name?
Ans: It will take 3-5 business days; you should hear back from PayPal through e-mail. They will change it according to your submitted files.
Q3: How do I change my PayPal account information?
Ans: first, go to Payout settings button and select ‘edit’ or ‘add.’ Then you requested an update. You have to follow the security procedures to confirm you made the changes.
Q4: How do I make PayPal anonymous?
Ans: To make an online payment with PayPal anonymously, you will need to register a payment card or bank account. Your recipient will see only your registered name and e-mail address whenever you do the transaction.
Q5: Will PayPal refund me if scammed?
Ans: Yes, they will refund if you report it within 180 days from the payment date. But if you transfer money to a fraudster as being part of a phishing scam or via PayPal’s peer-to-peer payments system, you are likely out of luck.
Q6: Can I delete my PayPal account and start again?
Ans: Once your account is closed, it won’t be reopened. You can also open a new account from your previous or the same e-mail address, but all transaction history will be lost from an old account.
Nevertheless, changing your name on PayPal requires some work; otherwise, it doesn’t require so much time-consuming. You can do it quickly and easily if your documents are nearby. Further, you can change your name on PayPal via its website only, not from the mobile app.