How do I make a new folder on my Mac?
- Menu > File > New Folder.
- Right-click on desktop > click “New Folder.”
- Key combination/shortcut: ⌘+Shift + N.
In today’s digital world, managing your files and documents is crucial for efficient workflow and easy access to information.
If you are well-organized and want a Mac with a clean desktop, this option best suits you, where your files are organized and have proper folders. If you’re looking at how to create a new folder on their devices. We are here to help you.
In this comprehensive blog, we’ll unveil a step-by-step guide to making new folders on your Mac. Make sure to check out this “Apple Releases Security Fixes for iOS 16.4.1 & MacOS 13.3.1”
So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
All macOS systems carry folders in order to maintain file management. These include many things such as Applications, Documents, or Downloads folders in the macOS file manager “Finder.”
For instance, when you download new fonts on your Mac from the web, the files are automatically saved to the Downloads folder. Moreover, there are also some hidden folders that contain important system files on macOS.
Try all three methods to create folders on your iMac or MacBook and organize your files. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Mac desktop and look at the word “finder” next to the Apple icon in the upper left corner.
- Select File to open the drop-down menu.
- Tap on New Folder, and it will appear on your desktop.
- Go to your desktop and select File and New Folder.
- Go to your Mac’s desktop.
- Right-click an empty space on your desktop and tap the trackpad with two fingers close together.
- Click the first option, “New Folder,” on the menu. Hence, a new folder will be added to the desktop within a few seconds.
- Right-click an empty space on your desktop to open the menu, and click New Folder.
- Navigate to your Mac’s desktop.
- Enter the given key combination with your keyboard: ⌘ + Shift + N
- Thus, the new folder will appear on your desktop.
Here’s how to make folders with a mouse or trackpad shortcut on Mac:
- Right-click anywhere on your MacOS Desktop with your mouse or trackpad.
- Click New Folder.
Furthermore, you can do the same within Finder, so the right-click shortcut is very helpful in a variety of contexts.
Moreover, it’s very simple to zip and unzip files and folders using your mouse or trackpad.
Here’s How To Create a ZIP Folder on Mac:
- Right-click on any folder.
- Click on Compress (folder name).
When you open a Finder window, and the menu bar activates the Finder context, you can easily create new folders through File selection:
- Select File in the menu bar.
- Tap New Folder or use Shift + Command + N.
Macs are based on Unix systems and can be managed through the command-line interface (CLI). The default CLI utility on Mac is Terminal, and it will be used to create new folders.
Here’s how to do it:
- Install Terminal.
- Go to a place where you want to create a new folder. The simplest way is to type cd and then drag-and-dropping the parent folder where you want to create a new folder.
- Select the Return option.
- Now, type mkdir (new-folder-name), where you replace (new-folder-name) with the folder name you’d like to put. Ensure to connect separate words with hyphens.
|Note: You may face unpredictable consequences while executing a command. Therefore, we recommend you try other options first, as outlined above, rather than choosing Terminal.|
- How to Add Low Power Mode Widget on iOS 12 & Mac
- The best way to access APK files on a Mac using Commander One
- How to Screen Mirror from iPhone to MacBook
- 5 Best Free Video Recording Software For Mac/Windows/Linux
- Apple Introduces ChipPowered: The M2 Chip in Mac
- How to Update Your iOS Devices [Mac/iOS & Mac]