On Twitter—everything you say is public and it has consequences, sometimes a heavy one. As the platform is public and most of the users want to be famous on the platform, it’s very normal to find the best Twitter bot to achieve faster growth. Unfortunately, it does not always bring fame for everyone. For instance, back in 2013, Justine Sacco boarded a plane to South Africa. Meanwhile, in the air; she randomly tweeted an offensive joke to her 170 followers. Her joke became viral. When her plane landed: she was insanely criticized and fired from her job. Well, if you don’t want to go from the same phase, then I will be your guide on how to make your Twitter account private.
Turning your account private will also give you room to not only interact with your followers but also avoid the negativity spread on Twitter by the trollers.
So, in this article, I will tell you the steps of how to make your Twitter account private and make your Twitter experience better by it.
So, let’s get into it, shall we?
How To Make Twitter Account Private: Web Browser?
Twitter is easy to use. And even easy to turn your public account into private. 3 things will be required for this:
- Functioning Twitter account
- Desktop Twitter version
- Stable Internet connection
All three options are CHECK. Good. Now follow these steps to completely turn your account to private mode.
- Open your Twitter account
- Log into your account
- Go to the More on the left
- Scroll down to the Settings and Privacy
- Click on the Account Information
- Toggle down your mouse to Protected Tweets
- Tick the box of Protect Your Tweets
- Apply the changes in the confirmation box
How To Make Your Twitter Account Private on Phone?
When you create Twitter, it automatically set your account on public. So, changing your Twitter status from public to private can be even easy from a PC. It will make only your followers see your post. Not even someone searching from the browser to look at your tweets, let alone non-following Twitter users.
Below you will learn 2 different OS to private your account.
- How to make a Twitter account private on iPhone
- How to make your account private on Twitter on Android
Making Twitter Private on iPhone
Follow these simple child-like steps to turn the private mode on iPhone:
- Tap on the Twitter app
- Press your Profile photo
- Go to the Settings there
- Scroll down to Privacy and Safety
- Switch the Protect your Tweets on
- Tap Done
Now The Time for Android
Switching from your default public to private Twitter account on Android is as easy as pie.
Here is how:
- Open your Twitter on phone
- Go to your avatar on the upper-left side
- Tap on Privacy and Safety
- Press Audience and Tagging
- Switch on the Protect Your Tweets
How Other People Gonna Follow You in Private Mode?
In the private mode of Twitter—Others cannot (directly) follow you. But, that is not the whole story. Yes, they cannot directly follow you but instead, they can send you a request to follow. And it’s up to you to accept it or not.
Here is how you going to do it:
- Open Instagram
- Go to the Menu on the timeline
- Press “Follower Request”
- Approve anyone at will
How To Make Twitter Account Private – Why Private Mode?
Using Twitter is fun. But sometimes this fun can turn into a real nightmare. The toxicity on the platform is rising. Leaving many users to make their profile private. Some reasons why users go into private mode.
- Some users want to limit their online circle to people they trust.
- Want to take a break from the endless cycle of online interactions
- Few users want to go into the private mode to rake people’s curiosity
But What If You Change Your Mind?
You follow all these steps to make your Twitter account private from the public either on desktop or mobile. But you want to change it now? How are you going to undo your changes?
Don’t fret. I’ll tell you how:
- Open Twitter
- Tap on More
- Press theSettings
- Click on Account and Privacy
- Switch off the green button on Protect My Tweets
- Enter your password in the box for confirmation
Pro-Tip: How to Improve Your Twitter Security – Empty Your Twitter Cache
The security of Twitter is essential nowadays. So, beyond how to make your Twitter account private you can wipe your cache out to make your security stronger. The reason: cache has your previous data stored in it. By removing the cache—you will delete existing tracking cookies and unnecessary data. Hence, improving the security of your account further.