Adding custom sitemap in the footer, is one of the best ways to increase the overall crawl-ability and visibility of the website in the eye of search engines?
As we know, every bot first land on Header as well as on WordPress footer to check the rule to crawl your set by you using robots.txt file then move next.
So why we do not place a link of XML Sitemap or Custom sitemap in the footer of WordPress to increase the overall visibility of our content as well as the site.
WordPress Footer can be divided into 3 main parts;
- Bottom Bar: Where you add the footer credit like “Copyright ©2016-2017 HiTechWork, All rights reserved“
- Footer: Here you can place anything you want like “Company Detail, Contact Us, About Page, Social Links etc“.
But these options are varied from theme to theme and plugins you are using on your site.
Look at the WordPress default theme twenty-sixteen.
This theme has Bottom Bar and Footer to place footer credit and important link of your site respectively.
Note: Each theme has the limited number of a Footer. Maybe it gives you one or more than one footer.
To Check the number of WordPress footers click one Appereance>> Widgets.
In this article, we will learn how to add Text and Sitemap in the footer of the WordPress website.
This basic thing help you to find the answer of some of the basic question that beginner blogger have like
- How to add Menu in the footer?
- how to Inserting hyperlinks to WordPress footer.
- How to add Social link or Icon in the footer…. etc
So, let start,
Introduction To Custom Sitemap For Footer
The primary purpose of the adding Custom Sitemap Footer in WordPress is to help the visitors to find the valuable piece of content and information easily.
Now, In modern days, company use footer space very cleverly to increase the usability of their site.
Look at Google developer website,
How they cleverly use their Footer Space to guide their user to reach out all the relevant page on the site with going puzzle on their website.
To understand the importance of footer we first have to study, the journey of the user on a website.
A visitor visits a website…but he/she doesn’t see what she’s looking for,,, He/she scrolls down a bit… but he/she still doesn’t find,,,,,, scrolls a bit more,,,,,,still not the,,,,, then he/she goes all the way down to the bottom of the page,,,,,, and there it is, in the website footer. The link he/she was looking for!
So ignoring the importance of footer means you are ignoring your audience attention.
Traditional Vs Mini Sitemap
However, on another hand Mini Sitemap are used to place whatever you want to place in an attractive and user engaging way.
Mini Sitemap footers are not only gaining the more click, user attraction but also more effective than traditional footers.
As I told you, Whenever user not able to find the information on the header as well as in the sidebar. They try it to find on the footer,
So footer is your last option, to grab the of the user attention to decrease the bounce rate of your website.
How To Add Sitemap In The Footer Of WordPress?
To add anything in the WordPress footer, Side Bar as well as on the on the header of your website. You should have to learn the two basic feature of WordPress.
- WordPress Menu and
- WordPress Widgets.
Note: Here I’m just giving an overview to Menu as well as Widgets, but in an upcoming tutorial, we will cover this in detail.
Let me give you an overview, what I’m going to do in this paragraph.
First, I will create the Menu (group) and add some page in it. After that I will use the Widgets to place that Custom Menu (a group of page ) into the WordPress Footer.
This is the process to place text, social link, hyperlink, sitemap in the footer. So, Lets we do this.
- Login Your website as an Admin and open your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on Menus Under Appearance and here, you will see a window like below.
Note: – Don’t worry if you see a different window. This depends on the theme you are using, but the procedure remains same in all the theme.
- Just click on Create a New Menu (group) and give a name to it.
Now you have a Menu, Add whatever you want to add in it. For example, here I’m adding my “About page and Sitemap Page” in it.
- Select the page that you want to add in the Menu, and Hit Add to Menu Button.
- Now you will see, Your selected page is moved in the Menu.
So, now you know how to create a group of the page in the WordPress Menu. So, lets we move to our topic “how to add sitemap in the footer.
- Click on Widgets Under Appearance.
On your left side, you will a list of Widgets and right side you will see the place where you can add your widgets.
So, Click on Custom Menu Widgets and select the place( footer 1, 2 or 3) and click on Add Widgets.
Note: WordPress has a Drag and Drop functionality, So you can also drag Custom menu from left side to right side in the footer.
- Now, select the Menu you just created and give the Title which you want to show on your site and hit the save button.
Check your website footer.
I’m sure you will definitely see something on your footer.
In this way, You can add text, sitemap in the footer of the WordPress website.
But inserting hyperlinks to WordPress footer is little different than adding sitemap in the footer of WordPress.
How To Inserting Hyperlinks To WordPress Footer
You can do inserting hyperlinks with the help Custom link option in the Menu under Appearance.
- Click on Appearance>>Menu and then click on Custom link.
Here you will see two option.
- URL: where you want to link the text and
- Text Name: Text to show on the front end (like title)
Entry the URL as well as text and click on Add to Menu button,
Note: Try to create a New Menu for Inserting hyperlinks. If you add in the old Menu then it will show where you added the menu. So it is better to create a new menu rather than using old menu.
In this way, you can add a hyperlink in the WordPress footer as you add the sitemap.
How To Create a Sitemap For WordPress Footer
The XML sitemap is a file that contains your article detail for Search engine Bots. But the Sitemap that we use to place in the footer consists of the link of all the article of your site.
WordPress Page is best to do this job. You can learn the difference between post and page in WordPress to increase your information about WordPress.
- Create a New Page with name “Sitemap”
- Make a list of your all article and wrap them into a link.
Here I’m creating a custom sitemap for my category.So, In this way, we create and add Sitemap in the footer WordPress.
Note: – Update your footer sitemap time to time (When you update a new post by placing the link in the sitemap)
A sitemap in the footer is work only when bots come to your site. To get faster indexing of your content combines sitemap with WordPress ping list to get a better result.
Customize The Footer In WordPress
Some themes give you the ability to Customize the footer like change the Color, Size, Font by Click on Appearance>>Customize.
If your theme supports these feature you will see Footer option in the customizer.
- Click on Footer and select Footer Menu.
Here You will see all the Customization option available for you to edit the footer.
Set the font size, font family, and color according to your theme setting.
Things That Can Do In Footers
Here are an idea, the things that you can add in the footer of any website.
- Major content categories.
- Sitemap, Navigation, Testimonials.
- Phone and Fax numbers.
- Site Search Tool, Your Mission, Branding.
- Social Icons, Social Media Widgets.
- Help and support, Contact information, Current promotions
- Donation or volunteer information, for nonprofits
- Information about the site or organization
- Awards and Certifications, Association Memberships.
Remember to share this post with anyone who might benefit from this information, including your Facebook friends, Twitter followers and members of your Google+ group! And also Support Us By Liking Our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ Page.
If you have any suggestion or problem about Sitemap In Footer please feel free to comment below.
Latest posts by Harvinder Singh Sharry (see all)
- Customize WordPress Post Editor Toolbar with TinyMCE Advanced - September 29, 2017
- How To Use WordPress Post Editor Toolbar And Add New Option - September 28, 2017
- Introduction to WordPress Post Screen Option And Its Feature - September 14, 2017