Are you facing difficulty using the microphone on your Airpods? No worries. In this blog, we will let you know some troubleshooting guides to fix the airpods microphone not working issue. Although, this is so annoying since so many of us use our airpods to conduct meetings and connect with friends. But when you encounter several issues, such as the microphone not working, the AirPods disconnecting, and the audio dropping out. so we will discuss some instant solutions in the next section to fix these issues.
However, Airpods give a remarkable sound experience; you can use them for Zoom conferences, FaceTime calls, or Siri commands. It comes with noise cancellation and custom high dynamic range amplifiers that make the talking experience quite good. Although most of the issues you will face with airpod microphones are ordinary and have simple fixes. But if the Microphone stops functioning on your airpods, you can fix it by cleaning the Microphone and reconnecting it. Other causes that might interfere with the Microphone may be volume limiters or low power mode. Now let’s move to the next section to discuss the troubleshooting guide.
Fixes to Resolve the Airpods Microphone Not Working Error
This section will discuss solutions to resolve the Microphone’s inability to function. We will be looking at every reason for your ease to eliminate any chances of the issue. There are various ways to solve this. You can apply each tip until your Microphone starts working. So follow the below ways.
1. Ensure Your Airpods are enough Charged
If your AirPods batteries are not fully charged, they can start to act oddly. If the airpods are trying to use the Microphone in a single airpod, but that airpod is not charged, it can seem like there’s a serious issue. For this, you just have to put them into the case and charge your airpods for a while. There is sufficient battery life to operate normally. If you have the time, charge them for at least 30 minutes. Furthermore, the Microphone will not work when your airpods are not charged, so it is necessary to check the battery level of your airpods before using them. If charging is not the issue, you can proceed to the next step.
2. Restart Your iPhone
Whenever we encounter any problem, we always restart the phone to tackle the issue. Sometimes, the issue got resolved by using this technique. If the issue with your airpods is somewhere in your phone, like a software driver that allows the Microphone to function with a specific app, restarting the iPhone can be the best way to get back up and operating. So go for it.
3. Place the Airpods in the Case & Try Again to Connect
This is the simplest trick to solve a problem with your airpods. If your airpods are not working accurately, put them back in the case for about a minute, then take out your airpods from the case and try again. It will reset the Bluetooth connection with your phone and can return everything to normal. It will also establish a new connection with your phone and can fix most audio issues with your Airpods.
4. Examine the Microphone Settings to Fix Airpods Microphone Not Working Issue
Maybe the microphone issue emerges with only one airpod; for instance, the right airpod works fine, but the left has stopped working. The issue might be a result of the settings. So make sure your Airpods are linked o your iPhone before applying the given steps.
- View the “Settings” on your phone and choose “Bluetooth.”
- Under “My Devices,” go to your Airpods and click on the “I” info icon, then select “Microphone.”
- Verify the “Automatically Switch Airpods” option is allowed.
- Now again, connect the mic to see if the issue is resolved or not.
5. Neat Your Airpods Microphone
Before going into the details, first, you must check if your Airpods microphone looks dirty. Sometimes, the dirt stops the mic from functioning or makes your sound quiet. So, to clean the mic, you can spray a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. Don’t get it too wet, and wipe away the microphone holes at the bottom of the airpods. Next, pry out any particles with a toothpick or with tweezers. While doing this, take extra care not to harm the mesh grill covering the microphones.
6. Reconnect & Reset Your Airpods
The other way to fix it is to reset the airpods before connecting them to any device. Now let’s move the steps to reconnect them.
- Place your airpods in the case, shut the lid, and then leave them for a minute.
- Now view the charging case, but don’t take your airpods.
- Open the settings and click on Bluetooth on your iPhone.
- Click on the info icon beside your Airpods.
- Next, click on Forget This Device & verify it.
- After that, keep the lid of the case open and hold the setup button on the back of the case until it flashes amber light and then white.
- With the open lid, hold the case near your phone.
- After that “Not Your Airpods” message appears on your screen.
- Now, choose “Connect” to pair the airpods by applying the guidelines on-screen.
- Click on Done when you see your airpods are reconnected to your iPhone.
- Now connect your Microphone again.
7. Update the Airpods Firmware to Fix Airpods Microphone Not Working Issue
Sometimes, older firmware versions can also cause the issue with the AirPods microphone not functioning. So go to settings > General > About > Airpods to check the current version of the firmware. If you see the older version, try updating the firmware. To update to the new version, connect your Airpods to a charging source and leave them near your phone, which must be connected to the Wi-Fi connection. Check them again after 30 minutes, and they will be updated in the meantime.
8. Disable the Low Power Mode
When your iPhone is on a low battery level, the low power mode can interfere with the performance of your Airpods. Whether the volume level of your airpods speakers or mic is on the low volume, or there is no sound if the low power mode is switched on. Apply the below steps to alter the low power mode to solve the Microphone of your airpods.
- Navigate to the Settings app and open the battery settings.
- Then, you will locate the option named Low power mode. So tap on it.
- Now, you can toggle off the feature, which can resolve the microphone issue on your Airpods if your mobile is low on battery.
9. Reset iPhone’s Network Settings
Corrupted phone network settings can also cause issues with the Microphone on the airpods. So try resetting them by viewing the iPhone’s settings app and choosing General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset network settings.
10. Hardware Issue (Repair or Replace Your Airpods)
If the above tricks don’t help, may be your airpods are damaged or need repair. So, you may have to consider repairing or replacing your Airpods by contacting Apple support or checking if they are entitled to repair or replacement. However, many defects may be covered by Apple’s support under Apple’s warranty policies, and you may be able to get your airpods repaired for free.
However, the non-working Microphone on a set of airpods makes the Zoom and FaceTime experience really bad, Users reported that most of the time, the Microphone was not functioning on their airpods. Some people find that simply inserting them back into the case, or restarting the phone, will solve the issue. But sometimes, it didn’t help. So, for your ease, we have compiled different solutions for you to tackle the issue. Hopefully, the above methods helped you tackle your problems. Let us know which is your preferred method that instantly fix the issue.