Just imagine you are playing one of your favorite PS5 games of 2023 on your PlayStation 5. But suddenly, the Playstation 5 turns off by itself. This situation is quite frustrating as you are in the middle of the game and fall on the catastrophic end of the spectrum for console problems.
In this post, we shared some fixes that players should apply to their PlayStation 5 to run smoothly.
Table of Contents
Why does my PS5 Turn Off Itself While Playing Games?
If you are playing a game on your PlayStation 5 and it would not turn on, there are probably some reasons for this that are;
- Power Supply Problems: When there is an issue with the power supply, it can spiral the PS 5 to stop working.
- Overheating Problem: If your PlayStation becomes overly hot, it may stop working to prevent injury.
- Rest Mode: When you turn on the rest mode on your PlayStation, it can cause it to shut down.
- System Software Glitches: When there is a problem with the PlayStation software, it can often cause shutdown issues unpredictably.
- HDMI Device: Sometimes, HDMI device link settings on PS 5 can cause the random shutdowns of your PlayStation.
- Hardware Problems: If there is a hardware problem with your PlayStation, it can cause it to close itself suddenly.
PS5 Turns Off by Itself and Won’t Turn on – Fixes
When you are playing games on your PlayStation 5 console shuts down randomly, and it does not turn on. To fix this issue, we describe some easy solutions you can apply to turn on your PS 5.
Fix 1: Check Power Cable
If the power cable is loose or damaged, it may root the PlayStation 5 to switch off without caution. Many consoles don’t look to have any constant pattern of when the console turns off with this issue.
The first solution you have to do is reconnect the power cable, ensure it is fully inserted, and directly connect the PS 5 to the wall power outlet. However, if the issue continues, replace the power cord to connect. The PlayStation console is charged via an IEC C7 power cord cable, which is very common and also used to charge the PS3 and PS4.
Fix 2: Cool Down PS5
Every console, like Nintendo Switch, Xbox, and others, need a continual air flow to cool down appropriately. PS 5 is a massive console requiring a large heatsink to eject all the thermal energy produced by its CPU outward. So, if you are playing a game on your PlayStation 5 that turns off by itself, it may require proper airflow.
When you place your PlayStation 5 in a packed place, like inside the furniture or in the box. The console must become suffocate by sucking the same hot air that comes out of its ventilation ducts.
In this situation, players have to switch off their PS5 console and remove all the power cables. Then, put PS 5 horizontally to a ventilated place and get fresh air. After that, check if it works properly. But if the issue continues, check out the next fix to sort out the issue.
NOTE: Always ensure that the PlayStation 5 stand is attached if you place the console vertically so the bottom openings can get enough airflow.
Why does PS 5 overheat easily?
PlayStation 5 regulates its temperature on its own, but its internal temperature can rise and become overheated if it is overly used. If players often play games for 5 or more hours, it will overheat. So, purchasing an external fan for your PS 5 is recommended when you recurrently game on it for five or more hours.
Fix 3: Clean PS5
Every electronic device console gets dirty and dusty, so we must frequently clean the devices and consoles. So, PS 5 also gradually fills the dust, and the grilles become drenched. That is why the console’s ventilation starts to be less than ideal.
Hence, the internal temperature increases and causes PS 5 to turn off by itself without caution randomly. Users can easily clean the PlayStation’s ventilation system without completely separating the console’s internal components.
Here, we have shared the steps to clean the vent system of PlayStation 5.
- firstly, remove the screw of the stand and take the stand away.
- After that, separate both faceplates from the housing by pulling up the faceplate’s side with the PlayStation logo.
- Then, remove the plastic consumption fin covering the console’s upper side and protect the fan assemblage from the top.
- Now remove the screw holding the fan cover in place: (not all screws are the same length).
- After that, disconnect the fan assembly from the PS 5.
- Clean the open interior of the PS and fan blades with a brush, dry cloth, or canned air.
- Put the fan assembly back into its spot, swap the fan’s cover, and screw the fan in its place.
- Then, replace the fin, faceplates, and stand. That’s it.
Fix 4: Update System Software
If there is no issue with the power cord and overheating but PS 5 shutting down. Your PS 5 probably needs a firmware update, as corrupted software can cause the console to shut off. To avoid this issue, users must update the PS5 console to available latest version.
To update your PS 5 system software, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Launch the PS 5 settings menu from the home screen.
- Then, choose the system option from the popup options.
- After that, tap on the system software and choose the system software update and settings option.
- Then tap on the update system software option.
- Now, choose Update using the Internet option from the popup list.
- After that, tap on the Update option to start updating your system software.
Fix 5: Turn Off Rest Mode
When your PS5 is in sleep mode, it can be the perpetrator for random turns off for PS 5. However, the sleep mode is helpful for power saving and when charging the PS controllers and installing games without fully charging the console.
Suppose users want to prevent the PS 5 from entering rest mode, so you must disable the rest mode to avoid the PS 5 turning off by itself. Follow the steps to exit the rest mode.
- Open the settings menu from the PS 5 home screen.
- Select the system option from the popup menu list.
- After that, choose the power saving option from the left pane list.
- Now tap set time until PS 5 enters the rest mode option.
- Then, set the options during media playback and while playing games to don’t put in the rest modeoption.
Fix 6: Disable the PS5 HDMI Device Link
Another system that users just need to turn off if their PS 5 turns off by itself. The HDMI device link of PlayStation 5 lets your TV switch on when the console is switched on. Thus, when you turn on the TV, the PS 5 console turns on, too.
But occasionally, the interoperability between devices can cause the PlayStation 5 to power off. It happens because sometimes there are Smart TVs that support the CEC specification. But they don’t manage to make all functions compatible accordingly, generating some incidents.
To fix the PlayStation 5 turning-off issue, users must turn off the HDMI device link system. To do that, follow these steps.
- Launch the PS5 home screen settings menu and hover over the system option.
- After that, navigate to the HDMI option from the popup option list.
- Then, turn off the toggle of the HDMI device link to disable this feature.
Fix 7: PlayStation 5 Turns off by itself: Reconstruct the Database
If the PlayStation 5 shutting down issue continues, you must try another fix – rebuild the PS 5 database. Make sure to put your PlayStation in safe mode before rebuilding the database. To put PlayStation 5 on safe mode, hold down the power knob for almost 7 seconds till you hear a 2nd beep.
- First, connect the dualsense controller to PS5 via USB-C cable as you can’t use ir wirelessly in safe mode.
- Choose the clear cache and rebuild database option from the available options list of safe mode.
- After that, tap on the Rebuild database option.
- Then tap on the OK tab to start rebuilding the database.
- Now, wait until the database is completed to rebuild and check if the issue is resolved.
What if PlayStation 5 Turns Off by Itself Continues?
If you have tried all the above fixes but, unfortunately, the shutting down of PS 5 problems persists. It means your console might be defective. In this situation, you must contact PlayStation support and send your console for repair. However, check that your PlayStation 5 is under warranty and not physically damaged before sending.
How do I know if my PS5 is under warranty?
You are automatically enclosed by a warranty when you buy a Sony Playstation 5 from a store. You can claim the warranty of your PS 5 by showing the serial number and proof of purchase. If your PS 5 is under warranty, PS customer support will repair your Playstation 5 for free.
- How to Change Characters in GTA 5 PS4
- How To Charge A PS4 Controller With or Without Charger
- How to Connect PS5 to Hotel Wifi